The conference series intends to address the goals of WASP as well as the wider requirements of the global adaptation science and practice communities. The conferences are an opportunity for large projects and networks to showcase their activities, results, outputs, and outcomes. They seek to facilitate the communication of the best available science, good practices, and lessons learned. They are an opportunity for key stakeholders, large projects and networks, as well as policymakers at the local, regional, and global level, businesses, and practitioners to meet, exchange ideas, and seek collaboration and partnerships.
- Create a platform for sharing the best available science, new knowledge, and good practices
- Develop a conference report within a year of the conference, with support from WASP members
- Bring the research and practice adaptation communities together, with an emphasis on providing opportunities and strengthening capacity among early career participants
- Ensure that sufficient sponsorship is identified to provide travel scholarships for participants from developing countries who are at an early stage in their careers, and
- Provide an opportunity for WASP to promote its activities to the wider community.
History of Adaptation Futures conferences
Biennial Adaptation Futures conferences have been co-organized and co-hosted by the World Adaptation Science Programme (WASP) since 2010.
- 2010, Queensland, Australia - Preparing for the unavoidable impacts of climate change
- 2012, Arizona, USA - Cutting-edge research and adaptation approaches
- 2014, Fortaleza, Brazil - Climate impacts and adaptation options
- 2016, Rotterdam, Netherlands - Practice and solutions
- 2018, Cape Town, South Africa - Adaptation and development challenges
- 2020/21, New Delhi, India - Accelerating adaptation action
The Sixth Adaptation Futures conference which was originally planned for April 2020 has been postponed due to the COVID pandemic. It will be co-organized by the WASP and The Energy and Resources Institute (TERI) and hosted in New Delhi, India on 5 – 8 October 2021 with 4 October as the pre-conference capacity building day.